Your instructor – Natasha Barrett
I’ve been a practising Pilates for over 20 years, and have been a qualified Pilates instructor for over 15 years (qualifying first as an aerobics instructor and then a Pilates instructor in 2005).
My day job is a lecturer in Anatomy and Physiology at the University of Reading and I also have a background in Osteopathy (although no longer practising).
I have a first class honours degree in Osteopathy which involved five years of studying anatomy, physiology, pathology and biomechanics. I also ran an Osteopathy clinic for eight years after qualifying.
This unique blend of knowledge and experience allows me to teach more than just the exercise. My philosophy is all about teaching you the background and scientific benefits for doing each exercise, empowering you with the knowledge to take control of your body.
I regularly attend new courses and specialist workshops so that I’m able to pass on the latest information and techniques in my Pilates classes.
You might say that I’m addicted to learning…! Take a look at my qualifications and the courses that I’ve attended:
- OCR Exercise to Music (trained at Reading College, 2005)
- OCR Pilates Level II (trained by Pilates Training Solutions, 2005)
- YMCA Fit: Exercise and Pregnancy (trained by YMCA Fit, 2006)
- The Guild of Pregnancy and Postnatal Exercise Instructors: Postnatal Exercise Teacher (GPNEX, 2006)
- The Guild of Pregnancy and Postnatal Exercise Instructors: Antenatal Exercise Teacher (GPNEX, 2007)
- Sports Massage Therapist (LSTSI, APNT, 2008)
- CYQ Pilates Level III (trained by Pilates Training Solutions, 2009)
- BSc in Osteopathy, no longer practising (Oxford Brookes University, 2012)
- Breast Cancer Exercise Specialist (The Pink Ribbon Program, Mbodies 2016)
Other courses, workshops and seminars
- Muscle testing and Postural Assessment (Pilates Training Solutions, 2005)
- The Guild of Pregnancy and Postnatal Exercise Instructors: Ante and Postnatal Pilates (GPNEX, 2006)
- Pelvic Floor Workshop (GPNEX, 2007)
- Anatomy In Clay Workshop (Anatomy In Clay, 2008)
- Posture Assessment (GPNEX, 2009)
- Pilates & Small Equipment (Pilates Training Solutions, 2009)
- Pilates for Buff Bones (osteopenia/osteoporosis) (Mbodies, 2014)
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA England, 2015)
- Pink Ribbon Program (rehabilitative breast cancer exercise specialist) (Mbodies, 2016)
- The Hypermobile Client in the Pilates Environment (Mbodies, 2016)
- Hip and Groin Master-Class (John Gibbons Bodymaster, 2017)
- Vital Glutes and Psoas Master-Class (John Gibbons Bodymaster, 2017)
- Practical Fascial Release Methods for Movement Professionals (Mbodies, 2018)
- Pilates for Mid-life Health and the Menopause (Mbodies, 2018)
- First Aid Course (University of Reading, 2018)
- Modern Pregnancy Exercise Live (Burrell Education, 2019)
- Exercises for Neurological Conditions (Mbodies, 2019)